Thursday, 31 March 2016

Pulborough's sparrows

Yesterday, I went to RSPB Pulborough Brooks and when I was waiting for lunch, a flock of house sparrows came close to where I was sitting, meaning I could take lots of photos of them.


House sparrows are, according to The Big Garden Birdwatch results 2016, the commonest bird in Britain, so it is easy to overlook their beauty as they are so common. But unfortunately, they have been in decline, and that means they are on the red list.


They were so tame and that meant I could get in close and get good detail. In fact, they where so tame that when the food came, I set up a small, not very scientific, but fun, experiment...


I put the pastry from my meal and the cake from my pudding equal distances away from both me and the fence and sat away(ish) from the food. About a minute later, the cake was gone and the pastry was still there. It isn't surprising, the cake contained the calories they wanted. You can feed cake to birds, but only in moderate amounts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try and reply soon.