Sunday, 24 July 2016

Cleaning Grattons

This is not the first time I have done a post like this one. Two days ago, I went to Grattons LNR on an evening walk. The summer holidays have just started, and it seemed as if someone had had a party, not cleaning up after themselves. It was in a right state!

So, yesterday I did a habitat clean. I found so many objects in the river. Newspaper, a penny, (I have lost the penny, but I would probably have given it to a charity), a school planner and books, a car tyre, a whole factory worth of tin cans and a lot of clothes. I found a shoe with something special in it, but I will address that crisis later.

On one corner, I found a whole bin bag's worth of rubbish. It took me ten minutes to clear it all up. It was quite steep, with muddy banks leading into one of the deepest parts of the whole river! I managed to not get too wet, but my trousers will never be the same after that!

Picking up cans, photo taken by my dad
We were there for about 75 minutes at the reserve. Two whole big bin bags worth of trash out of our rivers and I have (possibly) found an IUCN red listed species. All in a day's volunteering!

I would recommend doing a litter clean as well. Find a local event, or maybe organize your own. Make a positive impact on the places around us, save the environment, one bottle at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try and reply soon.