Sunday, 17 July 2016

Kingfishers, swallows and some very angry swans...

Today, I went to Warnham LNR in Horsham. I go every other week, and we should have gone yesterday, but an event was on, and you can't see that much wildlife if it is teeming with people! So, we went today. At the meadow, staring at the juvenile terns, I suddenly spotted a single kingfisher, the first one I have seen at Warnham this year! Then, without warning, a second flashed past, heading down the stream that feeds the mill pond.

Heading straight to the kingfisher hide, (or as we call it), we sat quietly. Whilst we were waiting, a group of swallows, five odd, suddenly started to skim the algae infested waters in front of us. It was amazing to see them hunting, mostly perfectly racing against the water line, now and then touching the surface.

Then, a single kingfisher made a curve towards a nearby post. It sat there for five or so minutes, before giving up trying to look through the algae, and flew off. But suddenly it stopped in mid air and started to hover over the clearer, faster flowing part of the river. It was hunting! Unfortunately, it was too far to take a good photo of it, but just the sight of it is incredible!

A mute swan - it was very protective with its four cygnets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try and reply soon.