Saturday, 29 October 2016

Fungi foray

During this week, we went to a new, (to us), nature reserve around our area called Hedgecourt. Hedgecourt is a Surrey Wildlife Trust reserve that stands at 5 hectares, (very small), but packs in a lot for insects. According to the ranger, it is not very good for birds, but then he went on saying that there are bitterns that are seen on the lake. He also told us this is probably the worst time of year to come. That is definitely not true if you are interested in fruiting bodies! Fungi and mushrooms are everywhere! The first tree you come to when accessing the reserve is littered with lots and lots of tiny mushrooms!

Last year, I went to the New Forest, and I found some fungi on a walk. This is the same idea, just a year on. The photos, unlike last year, were taken on a phone.

The first tree I came to
 



Next year I will be looking for bitterns!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try and reply soon.