Saturday, 13 June 2015

Wildlife curriculum

I find that wildlife has been drained out of our school curriculum. At secondary, I am shocked by how pupils don't notice wildlife. I have found a blue tit nest in the playground. No one knows it's there. It is just another "hole in the wall".

And in science, we have only done about low level ID. A great crested grebe is just an ordinary duck. Most people can't even name a mallard.

And even then, some of the important ID factors are wrong.

The only wildlife board is in a quiet corridor. And I have never seen anyone actually stop and look at it.

So I have come up with the idea of adding Wildlife to the national curriculum. Pupils would have just one hour a fortnight to go out to a green area in the school or locally. They could go out with an ID guide and some kind of lens (Binoculars, magnifying glass etc.) and see what they can find.

It may not be that much, but it may work. I find you need time outdoors little and often to enjoy and remember wildlife.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try and reply soon.