Thursday, 23 June 2016

Brownsea travel writing

At school, we are learning about travel writing, and, I did a piece on Brownsea island, which I visited last autumn. I have already done a post on Brownsea, (see here), but this is a more descriptive piece on what happened:


Brownsea island
By David King

It’s around 9‘o’clock in the golden Hampshire morning when we leave the cottage in a particularity beautiful village in the new forest, (all of the New Forest is amazing), and after a quick hike to the local train station we are waiting for a train to pick us up to what feels like the largest settlement for miles. I have a great anticipation for today. I am secretly hoping to encounter maybe a couple of red squirrels, now a privileged sight in the UK, and a ghostly white dot in the far distance that could be one of the rarest birds on British soil. Little did I know the great adventure that awaits me...

When we got off the stuffy train in Poole, we had a quick stroll through the high street and to the harbour. After paying the, (rather pricey), boat fee, we just caught a 100 man ferry boat, with wooden seats exposed to the ruthless elements, to Brownsea island. There is only one place to land at Brownsea, and that was on the other side of the famous island. So it was a long wait as the isolated island drew nearer and nearer and nearer in the horizon.

I have seen red squirrels before in captivity
The reason Brownsea hosts the elusive red squirrels is because when grey squirrels were introduced 100(ish) years ago, they indirectly killed most of the native reds through squirrel pox, (the greys are sadly immune). But they never got to Brownsea island, it is protected by the sea, as the water acts as a natural barrier. When the mainland reds perish, the Brownsea ones thrive.

When we landed at the only port, managed by the National Trust, we went straight to the local nature reserve, run by the Dorset Wildlife Trust. It cost  us about £3 to enter, witch was a great price for a nature reserve. It is home to some great wildlife, and, (sorry National Trust), realistically the best bit; and also the cheapest.

I saw many interesting flora and fauna, including the red squirrels running around, and of course, the stars of the lagoon… the spoonbills. The spoonbills were in a tight flock of around 20 individuals. This felt like I was on a National Nature Reserve, or a RSPB Nature reserve, just with a strong head wind!

I managed to take quite a good photo, even if I do say so myself
We also found that the red squirrels were quite tame on the large reserve. I managed to take quite a good photo, even if I do say so myself, of a rustic red squirrel. Red squirrels are amazing; they are smaller than the invasive greys, who come from the USA, and are much less aggressive too. They spend most of their time in the canopy, and are an amazing sight to see.

We spent most of the rest of the morning walking around the never ending paths in Brownsea. Bar the red squirrels, Brownsea is remarkably like Buchan, my local country park where I regularly visit and put trail cameras out in the heathland. Brownsea is slightly more built on than Buchan, with the castle and the scout camp.

After lunch, we walked down the adder like meandering path to the beach, and it was already clear that Brownsea has it’s own biosphere and weather patterns. Looming cliffs guarded the beach; the chance of a rock fall felt inevitable. It was more of a shingle wave cut platform, but it felt like a pebbly beach. I saw many coastal birds, turnstones, gulls, the usual.

After the beach, we went to the magical heathland. I spend a lot of my time at Buchan just on the Target Hill heath, I am yet to explore it all, (it is bigger than you think), and it seems only the quarter of the size of Brownsea's. It is not hard to see that Brownsea's heath is managed. I found deer dropping hotspots; I picked some up: dry, cold and brittle. I also saw the odd small bird, (no Dartford warblers)=! ) and of course, the kestrel perched high in a tree.

We then headed back towards the nature reserve. We hadn’t even scraped the surface of it last time, so we went and found a peanut feeder, that was full of visiting reds. It was the best part of the day; watching the reds coming in close. Also, small garden birds, (tits, finches and co.), were allowing me to edge closer and see this unique spectacle in close up.

The rest of the day went quickly; it was soon time to catch the ferry back, which we missed by 5 seconds and got the best seat of the next boat. The journey was full of lights reflecting on the inky black sea known as Poole harbour. The natural barrier, between the reds and the vermin greys.

The saviour of our glorious reds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I will try and reply soon.